As one of the few individuals to own a copy of Ugly But Honest, You Should Be At Home Here and Songs About Leaving by Carissa’s Wierd (sic), let alone ALL THREE, including their super-duper rare tour album, Scrap Book, it’s only with a hint of sadness that I relay to you the news that Hardly Art will reissue all three of the band’s proper albums. But the probable decline in value of rarities is far below the excitement I have for all the world who has yet to experience what, in my opinion, is one of the most under-appreciated, well-deserved bands ever to have existed.
To culminate the happening, Hardly Art will be releasing a best-of album titled They’ll Only Miss You When You Leave: Songs 1996 – 2003, the tracklist of which you can find below. The album is scheduled for a July 13 release.
This excitement is real, people. Seriously. When, during the Grand Archives debut LP release party at Triple Door, Mat Brooke joined S.’s Jenn Ghetto on stage to “cover” their old band by performing “All Apologies and Smiles, Yours Truly, Ugly Valentine”, tears literally began to well up. The band will be, yes, REUNITING briefly this July for a performance on or around the release date in Seattle. For long-time fans and new fans alike, I’m sure I’m not the only one hoping they add a few other dates to the schedule.
Above photo of Mat Brooke at the 2008 KEXP Yule Benefit by joshc.
Here’s the tracklist for They’ll Only Miss You When You Leave: Songs 1996 – 2003:
1. Low Budget Slow Motion Soundtrack Song For the Leaving Scene
3. The Color That Your Eyes Changed With the Color of Your Hair
4. One Night Stand
5. You Should Be Hated Here
6. Drunk with the Only Saints I Know
7. Phantom Fireworks
8. So You Wanna Be A Superhero
9. Brooke Daniels’ Tiny Broken Fingers
10. Ignorant Piece of Shit
11. Blessed Arms That Hold You Tight, Freezing Cold and Alone
12. Blue Champagne Glass
13. September Come Take This Heart Away
14. All Apologies and Smiles, Yours Truly, Ugly Valentine
15. Sympathy Bush
16. They’ll Only Miss You When You Leave